Thursday, April 7, 2011

Planting an avocado seed



We have begun our unit of planting and one of the things that we planted was a avocado seed. Because we assumed that many of the children might not be familiar with avocado, we peeled the black avocado and gave each student a small piece of the green fruit to taste. Then we gave each child a small bit of guacamole, made from the avocado, on a cracker to try. From Jeffrey's enthusiasm over eating the fruit often at home to Soma telling us all about how his mom uses avocado in making fresh sushi to Nevin holding her nose and closing her eyes to give it a try, the students very much enjoyed the experience and making prediction about what will happen to the seed. This is what they had to say:


Jacob - It tasted really good.

Dazha - The avocado tasted nasty but I liked the guacamole.

Chance - It was good!

Connor - They were both good.

Joe - Delicious!!

Gabriel - I like guacamole but didn't like the avocado. It tasted b-a-a-a-a-d.

Vincent - I didn't taste it! The guacamole looked gross.

Nicole - HORRIBLE!!

Sean - It tasted bad.

Alaina - Dis-gusting!

Soma - GOOD!

Parker - I didn't like it. They were both bad, bad, bad.

Natali - I liked the guacamole but not the avocado. It was gross.

Nick - They both tasted really, really nasty.

Claudia - The guacamole was good. The avocado tasted nasty.

Shaun - I think I kinda liked the guac but the avocado was despicable.

Dede - Horrible.

Jeff - Both were really good. I eat them at home. You take the avocado and cut it in half. Then you take out the seed. Add salt and eat it with a spoon. It's really good.

Autumn - The avocado wasn't really good. I had never tried it before.

Michael - The avocado was gross. I had never tried guacamole but I liked it on the cracker. My mom should start buying me some.

Nevin - I liked the guacamole. The avocado was squishy. I didn't like it. It didn't have a flavor.

Angelina - I hated both of them.

Taylor - The avocado was terrible. The guacamole was awesome.

Catherine - It tasted horrible.

Jesse - I hated the avocado but the guacamole was good.

Brendy - I didn't like them.

Tanner - I like the avocado because it almost tasted like eggs. The guacamole was alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment